Benfotiamine w/ThiamineLife Extension
Benfotiamine, a fat-soluble form of vitamin B1 (thiamine), supports healthy blood sugar metabolism and helps protect the body’s tissues against advanced glycation end products and oxidative stress.1 For example, the enzyme transketolase is critical to blood sugar metabolism. Like many enzymes, transketolase requires a co-factor. In this case, it needs assistance from thiamine. Unfortunately, thiamine is water-soluble, which makes it less available to the interior of the cell. Benfotiamine is fat-soluble and can easily penetrate into the inside of cells. It is also more bioavailable than the water-soluble thiamine.
In a landmark study, benfotiamine effectively increased transketolase activity in cell cultures by an astounding 300%, compared to a mere 20% for thiamine. This robust activation was sufficient to block three of the four major metabolic pathways leading to blood vessel damage.1 Benfotiamine also blocks the activation of the transcription factor known as nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kB), which is implicated in numerous inflammatory conditions.1
Overall, benfotiamine can activate glucose metabolism and promote healthy blood glucose levels in those already within normal range. Benfotiamine also helps maintain healthy endothelial function.2-8 Benfotiamine with Thiamine is a low-cost dietary supplement that can help maintain blood sugar levels in those already within normal range and support the health of the nerves, kidneys, eyes, blood vessels, and heart.
- Nature Med. 2003 Mar;9(3):294-9.
- Diabetes Care. 2006 Sep;29(9):2064-71.
- Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1043:777-83.
- Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2004 Jul-Aug;20(4):330-6.
- Diabetes. 2003 Aug;52(8):2110-20.
- Acta Diabetol. 2001;38(3):135-8.
- Diabetes. 2006 Aug;55(8):2231-7.
- Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1043:784-92.
- Take one (1) capsule four times daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If using Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer or Super Carnosine, only two (2) to three (3) capsules daily are needed to reach the optimal dose of 400 mg daily.
Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule
Amount Per Serving
Thiamine ... 25mg
(vitamin B1) (as thiamine HCl)
Benfotiamine ... 100mg
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), silica, vegetable stearate.