Combines targeted heart-health ingredients that naturally support cholesterol levels already within normal range
- Supports normal triglyceride and LDL levels
- Modulates HMG-CoA reductase with antioxidant tocotrienols
- Optimizes circulation and supports heart health
- Promotes blood vessel integrity and flexibility
Thirty Four million American adults have high cholesterol levels. While synthetic cholesterol drugs can help, they may also sometimes have undesirable side effects, interactions or nutrient depletion issues. Patient One designed Cholest-Plex to be a gentle, well-tolerated natural formula for maintaining cholesterol levels already within normal range. Cholest-Plex combines evidence-backed natural ingredients in use for millennia with the latest patented advancements for cholesterol control. Presented in ideal nutritional potencies and ratios, Cholest-Plex balances cardiovascular wellness via diverse biological pathways, blocking cholesterol absorption and synthesis, promoting blood vessel flexibility, regulating inflammation and enhancing endothelial function.
A patented blend derived from natural plant waxes, PolicosanolPlus supplies Omega 3-6-9 polyunsaturated fatty acids along with active compounds hexacosanol and octacosanol. PolicosanolPlus has been clinically shown to support healthy blood lipid levels; positively influence beneficial HDL cholesterol, improve LDL processing efficiency, and block biological pathways of cholesterol synthesis. PolicosanolPlus may also promote endothelial function and arterial flexibility, further supporting cardiovascular wellness.
Extracted from pine tree trunks, Phytopin Phytosterols supplies natural beta sitosterol, sitostanol, and other beneficial plant sterols that have been researched for over 50 years for their ability to promote healthy cholesterol levels. Plant sterols are believed to block absorption of cholesterol in the intestines while promoting healthy production of bile, offering dual-action support for balanced cholesterol levels.
Grape Seed Extract:
Grape seed extract’s vast array of cardio-supportive oligometric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) include catechin, epicatechin, and procyanidin. These antioxidant compounds have 50X the antioxidant activity of vitamin C, and are believed to help promote normal blood pressure, healthy endothelial function, blood vessel integrity, ideal platelet aggregation, and other aspects of vascular wellness. Grape seed extract’s OPC antioxidants also inhibit LDL oxidation and increase resting brachial diameter, suggesting benefits for enhanced circulatory health.
Red Yeast Rice Powder:
Monascus pupureus is used in traditional Asian culture and is extracted into modern red yeast rice supplements for cholesterol support. Supplying natural monacolin compounds, including monacolin K, red yeast rice is believed to inhibit HMG-CoA reductase while suppressing cholesterol synthesis in the liver. Red yeast rice bioactivities are similar to those of lovastatin, working to benefit both LDL and triglyceride levels. Red yeast rice also supplies potent antioxidant activity to further support blood vessel health and heart health. Numerous studies over the past four decades have demonstrated that red yeast rice preparations are helpful in naturally maintaining blood cholesterol levels already in the normal range.
CoQ10 provides support to all cells throughout the body and is particularly supportive of tissues that require a lot of energy, such as the heart muscle. Coenzyme Q10 is often suppressed in those with cardiovascular conditions, and CoQ10 depletion is often associated with cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. Because there is also evidence that use of red yeast rice can deplete coenzyme Q10, co-supplementation is recommended.
Antioxidant supplementation can be beneficial for healthy cardiovascular function by decreasing the oxidation of LDL cholesterol. CoQ10 supports cardiac tissues by improving endothelial function and by having a direct anti-atherogenic effect, leading to lower blood pressure and improved myocardial contractility.
- In a meta-analysis that combined the results of 14 different studies, researchers concluded that plant sterols or stanols lowered LDL cholesterol by 9–14%. Another research study, illustrated below, found that phytosterol therapy appeared to reduce LDL Cholesterol by an average of 10-11%. Researchers suggested that plant sterols may be recommended for patients who experience complications with mainstream cholesterol therapies.
- A trial from the UCLA School of Medicine, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, showed that red yeast extract reduces cholesterol levels by an average of 40 points in 12 weeks when combined with a low-fat diet. Researchers concluded that “Red yeast rice significantly reduces total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and total triacylglycerol concentrations compared with placebo and provides a new, novel, food-based approach to lowering cholesterol in the general population.”
- Castano G, Mas R, Fernandez L, Illnait J, Mesa M, Alvarez E, Lezcay M. Comparison of the efficacy and tolerability of policosanol with atorvastatin in elderly patients with type II hypercholesterolaemia. Drugs Aging. 2003;20(2):153-63.
- Feringa, H. H., Laskey, D. A., Dickson, J. E., and Coleman, C. I. The effect of grape seed extract on cardiovascular risk markers: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Am Diet.Assoc. 2011;111(8):1173-1181.
- Shi J, Yu J, Pohorly JE, Kakuda Y. Polyphenolics in grape seeds-biochemistry and functionality. J Med Food. 2003 Winter;6(4):291-9.
- Mellen P, et al. Effect of Muscadine Grape Seed Supplementation on Vascular Function in Subjects with or at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease: A Randomized Crossover Trial. J Am Coll Nutr., 2010 October; 29(5): 469-47
- Malinowski JM, Gehret MM. Phytosterols for dyslipidemia. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2010 Jul 15;67(14):1165-73.
- Leifert WR, Abeywardena MY. Cardioprotective actions of grape polyphenols. Nutr Res. 2008 Nov;28(11):729-37. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2008.08.007.
- Cicero AFG, Brancaleoni M, Laghi L, Donati F, Mino M. Hyperlipidaemic effect of a Monascus purpureus brand dietary supplement on a large sample of subjects at low risk for cardiovascular disease: A pilot study. Complement Ther Med. 2005; 13(4):273-278.
- Becker DJ, Gordon RY, Halbert SC, et al. Red yeast rice for dyslipidemia in statin-intolerant patients: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2009 Jun 16;150(12):830-09, W147-49. [PMID: 19528562]
- Bianchi A. Extracts of Monascus purpureus beyond statins—profile of efficacy and safety of the use of extracts of Monascus purpureus. Chin J Integr Med. 2005 Dec;11(4):309-13. [PMID: 16417786]
- Wang TH, Lin TF. Monascus rice products. Adv Food Nutr Res. 2007;53:123-59. [PMID: 17900498]
- Heber D, Yip I, Ashley JM, et al. Cholesterol-lowering effects of a proprietary Chinese red-yeast-rice dietary supplement. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999;69(2):231-36. [PMID: 9989685]
- Molyneux SL, Florkowski CM, Richards AM, et al. Coenzyme Q10; an adjunctive therapy for congestive heart failure? N Z Med J. 2009 Oct 30;122(1305):74-79. [PMID: 19966871]
- Soukoulis V, Dihu JB, Sole M, et al. Micronutrient deficiencies an unmet need in heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Oct 27;54(18):1660-73. [PMID: 19850206]
Take 2 vegetarian capsules once daily as a dietary supplement or as directed by a qualified health care professional.
Serving Size: 2 Capsules
Amount Per Serving
Pantethine ... 50mg
Red Yeast Rice powder ... 600mg
(Monascus purpureus) (seed)
Policosanol ... 10mg
(from PolicosanolPlus®, from sugar cane wax)
Grapeseed extract ... 50mg
(Vitis vinifera) (inner core of fruit) [Standardized for 95% proanthocyanidins (47.5 mg)]
Phytosterols ... 300mg
[as Phytopin® Pine Extract (99% sterols)]
[Typical Profile provides: Beta-Sitosterol 70-80% (210-240 mg), Beta-Sitostanol NMT 15% (45 mg), Campesterol 6-10% (18-30 mg), Campestanol NMT 2% (6 mg), Other Phytosterols NMT 3% (9 mg)]
Coenzyme Q10 ... 30mg
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), l-leucine, rice flour
This product contains NO milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab or shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, gluten, beef, or pork. Contains NO artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.
This product is free of ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
PolicosanolPlus® is a registered trademark of Innovation Laboratories, Inc. Phytopin® is a registered trademark of DRT Nutraceuticals (France).
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.