Nutritional support for healthy mood, sleep and stress
- Increases serotonin levels
- Supports normal sleep patterns
- Enhances positive mood
- Aids with stress management
- Helps regulate appetite and sugar cravings
- Includes Vitamin B6 as P-5-P
5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an intermediate in the natural synthesis of the essential amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is converted into 5-HTP, which in turn is converted into serotonin, an important neurotransmitter that is associated with the regulation of sleep, mood, appetite, aggression, temperature and sexual behavior.
Supplementation with 5-HTP is preferable to supplementing with its precursor, L-tryptophan. 5-HTP is derived naturally from the seeds of the Griffonia plant, where L-tryptophan is produced synthetically or through bacterial fermentation. 5-HTP readily crosses into the brain and in the presence of cofactor pyridoxal phosphate, derived from Vitamin B6 which is included in this formula, can be synthesized into serotonin.
Supplementing with 5-HTP provides the advantage of bypassing the conversion of L-tryptophan into 5-HTP, eliminating possible obstacles in the synthesis of serotonin. This conversion process can be inhibited by many factors including stress, insulin resistance, increasing age, and deficiencies of vitamin C, folate, and iron.
Oral 5-HTP is well-absorbed in the intestine without the need for a transporter and is not affected by the presence of other amino acids. As such, it may be taken with meals without reducing effectiveness.
Patient One 5-HTP supplies 100 mg of natural 5-hydroxytryptophan. Studies suggest that 5-HTP supports healthy levels of serotonin, the chemical messenger that affects emotions, behavior, appetite and sleep.
Adequate levels of serotonin in the brain are related to a balanced emotional state. By regulating activity of certain excitatory hormones, including dopamine and noradrenaline, serotonin helps promote a sense of calmness and relaxation. In numerous studies, significant positive response was shown in individuals with negative mood status when supplementing with 50–300 mg 5-HTP daily.
Acting as a satiety signal in the brain, serotonin helps naturally regulate food intake. Studies support the role of 5-HTP in appetite and weight management. When used in higher doses (300 mg 3 times per day), 5-HTP has been shown to decrease food consumption and reduce weight.
As a precursor of melatonin, serotonin is involved in regulating sleep patterns and has a beneficial effect on sleep/wake cycles and sleep quality.
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate)
Vitamin B6 plays a vital role in the functioning of the central nervous system. As a coenzyme, Vitamin B6 is fundamental in the brains production of several crucial neurotransmitters, including melatonin, norepinephrine and dopamine and is synergistically included in our formula. Since Vitamin B6 is water soluble and not stored in the body, we need to replenish its levels daily.
- Several small short-term studies have found that 5-HTP may be as effective as standard antidepressant drugs.(5, 6) Since standard antidepressants are also used for insomnia and anxiety, 5-HTP has also been suggested as a treatment for those conditions.(7)
- A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study was performed on 20 obese patients to investigate the effect 5-HTP would have on their eating habits. Significant weight loss was observed in those patients taking 5-HTP compared to placebo. A reduction in carbohydrate intake and a consistent presence of early satiety was also found.(1)
- Cangiano C, Ceci F, Cascino A, et al. Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992 Nov;56:863-67. [PMID: 1384305]
- Cangiano C, Laviano A, Del Ben M, et al. Effects of oral 5-hydroxy-tryptophan on energy intake and macronutrient selection in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Jul;22(7):648-54. [PMID:9705024]
- Ribeiro CA. L-5-hydroxytryptophan in the prophylaxis of chronic tension-type headache: a double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled study. Headache. 2000 Jun;40(6):451-56. [PMID: 10849040]
- Nagata E, Shibata M, Hamada J, et al. Plasma 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) in migraine during an attack-free period. Headache. 2006 Apr;46(4):592-96. [PMID: 16643553]
- Byerley WF, Judd LL, Reimherr FW, et al. 5-hydroxytryptophan: a review of its antidepressant efficacy and adverse effects. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1987;7:127-137.
- Poldinger W, Calanchini B, Schwarz W. A functional-dimensional approach to depression: Serotonin deficiency as a target syndrome in a comparison of 5-hydroxytryptophan and fluvoxamine. Psychopathology. 1991;24:53-81.
- Kahn RS, Westenberg HG, Verhoeven WM, et al. Effect of a serotonin precursor and uptake inhibitor in anxiety disorders; a double-blind comparison of 5-hydroxytryptophan, clomipramine and placebo. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 1987;2:33-45.
Take 1 -3 vegetarian capsules daily, in divided doses with or between meals, as a dietary supplement or as directed by a qualified health care professional.
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving
Vitamin B-6 ... 20mg
5-Hydroxytryptophan ... 100mg
(Gryffonia simplicifolia) (seed)
Other Ingredients: rice flour, vegetable cellulose (capsule), stearic acid, l-leucine, silicon dioxide
This product is free of milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab or shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, sugar, and artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors and preservatives.
This product is free of ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.