Phytosterol Complex 1000mgPatient One MediNutritionals
Promotes cardiovascular health and helps maintain cholesterol levels already within normal range
- Promotes healthy lipid metabolism
- Enhances bile acid secretion
- Supports liver function
- Promotes prostate health
Patient One Phytosterol Complex supplies plant sterols to promote healthy heart and prostate function. Beta Sitosterol, the most abundant plant sterols, also contains Campesterol and Stigmasterol for additional health benefits.
Phytosterols are sterol molecules, structurally similar to cholesterol, which are synthsized by plants and are naturally found in grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetable oils. Typical Western diets provide a low amount of phytosterols--only about 100-200 mg per day (based on beta-sitosterol content), in sharp contrast to vegetarian and Japanese diets that contain 345 and 400 mg/day, respectively. Further, natural phytosterols are often removed from vegetable oils during processing, pointing toward supplementation as an effective way to receive these healthy molecules.
Studied for more than 50 years, clinical trials suggest that phytosterols provide statistically significant support for healthy lipid metabolism. When plant sterols travel through the digestive tract, they get in the way of dietary cholesterol (from food such as meat and eggs) being absorbed into the bloodstream. Therefore, less total cholesterol is absorbed by the body when plant sterols are present. Plant sterols are believed to block absorption of cholesterol in the intestines while promoting healthy production of bile, offering dual-action support for balanced cholesterol levels. Phytosterols support liver receptor function and maintain healthy enzyme activity.
Beta-sitosterol also promotes healthy prostate function. Research suggests phytosterols naturally bind to prostate tissues, where they exert inflammation-modulating activity and influence cell signaling to help promote normal cell growth in the prostate. Phytosterols have been proposed to modulate testosterone; high intakes may also inhibit 5-alpha-reductase enzyme. Clinical trials also demonstrate the role of phytosterols in healthy urinary function. In a 6-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter study with 200 male subjects, it was shown that a mixed phytosterol complex providing beta-sitosterol supported healthy urinary flow. This was also supported in additional studies.
- In a meta-analysis that combined the results of 14 different studies, researchers concluded that plant sterols or stanols lowered LDL cholesterol by 9–14%. Another research study found that phytosterol therapy appeared to reduce LDL cholesterol by an average of 10-11%. Researchers suggested that plant sterols may be recommended for patients who experience complications with mainstream cholesterol therapies.
- Mayo Clin Proc 78:965-78 (2003); AJCN 74:33-43 (2001)
- Awad, A.B., et al. J Nutr. 2000. 130(9); Sep: 2127-2130.
- Wilt T, et al. Beta-sitosterols for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;(2):CD001043.
- Berges RR, et al. Randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial of beta-sitosterol in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Beta-sitosterol Study Group. Lancet. 1995 Jun 17;345(8964):1529-32.
- Malinowski JM, Gehret MM. Phytosterols for dyslipidemia. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2010 Jul 15;67(14):1165-73.
- Bouic, P. 7(14): 774-778.
- De Graaf, J., et al. British Journal of Nutrition. 2002. 88: 479-488.
- Hendriks, H.F.J., et al. European J of Clin Nutr. 2003. 57(5); May: 681-692.
- Katan, M.J., et al. Mayo Clin Proc. 2003. 78(8); Aug: 965-978.
- St-Onge, M, et al. J Nutr. 2003. 133: 1815-1820.
- Katan MB, Grundy SM, Jones P, Law M, Miettinen T, Paoletti R. Efficacy and safety of plant stannous and sterols in the management of blood cholesterol levels. Mayo Clin Proc 2003;78:965-78.
- Ostlund RE, Jr. Phytosterols in human nutrition. Annu Rev Nutr 2002;22:533-49.
- Plat J, Mensink RP. Plant stand and sterol esters in the control of blood cholesterol levels: mechanism and safety aspects. Am J Cardiol 2005;96:15D-22D.
- Gylling H, Hallikainen M, Nissinen MJ, Miettinen TA. The effect of a very high daily plant stand ester intake on serum lipids, carotenoids, and fat-soluble vitamins. Clin Nutr 2010;29:112-8.
- Park, Young Ki, and Timothy P. Carr. "Unsaturated Fatty Acids and Phytosterols Regulate Cholesterol Transporter Genes in Caco-2 and HepG2 Cell Lines." Science Direct. Department of Nutrition and Health Science, 20 Nov. 2012
Take 2 to 3 capsules daily, preferably with your two largest meals of the day, or as directed by a qualified healthcare provider.
Serving Size: 2 Capsules
Amount Per Serving
Phytosterol Concentrate .... 1000mg
Providing 95% Total Phytosterols (950 mg)
Beta-Sitosterol 40-58% (400-580 mg)
Campesterol 20-30% (200-300 mg)
Stigmasterol 14-22% (140-220 mg)
Brassicasterol 0-6% (0-60 mg)
Sitostanol 0-5% (0-50 mg)
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, calcium palmitate, silicon dioxide
This product is free of milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab or shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, sugar, and artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors and preservatives.