Cartilage ComfortPatient One MediNutritionals
Supplies proven, synergistic nutrients to promote cartilage repair and overall joint comfort
- Nourishes cartilage matrix
- Provides lubrication for joints
- Supports flexibility, mobility and joint comfort
- Convenient 1 capsule per day dose
- UC-II shown to be more than 2X as effective in promoting joint health as 1, 500mg glucosamine & 1, 200mg chondroitin as rated by WOMAC, VAS and the Lequesne functional index
Patient One Cartilage Comfort provides a synergistic combination of clinically proven ingredients to help strengthen and support the maintenance and natural repair processes of healthy connective tissue. This formula supplies UC-II® undenatured type-II collagen complex, MSM (as OptiMSM®) and Meriva® Turmeric to promote joint health and comfort in a convenient, one capsule per day dose.
UC-II® Undenatured Type-II Collagen Complex
UC-II® is a natural collagen concentrate derived from chicken sternum cartilage through a patented, non-enzymatic process which ensures that the type II collagen remains in its native triple helix form for optimal biological activity. UC-II is standardized to 25% undenatured type II collagen. Chicken collagen is a common food that has been consumed for centuries. With its unique mechanism of action, UC-II works in the small intestine through a process called oral tolerization to help slow down the degradation of type II collagen in the joints.
UC-II is clinically proven to increase joint comfort, flexibility and mobility twice as effectively as glucosamine and chondroitin.
In a randomized, double-blind trial involving 52 subjects, 40 mg of UC-II was more than twice as effective in promoting joint health as 1, 500 mg of glucosamine and 1, 200 mg of chondroitin as rated by WOMAC, VAS and the Lequesne functional index.
A human pilot study with five women supplemented with 40 mg of UC-II for 42 days showed statistically significant support for joint comfort and flexibility.
Meriva® Turmeric Phytosome™
Turmeric’s active constituent curcumin acts as an orchestrator of whole body inflammatory responses, influencing pro-inflammatory COX enzymes, their transcription factors and gene expression. However, turmeric’s absorption is poor. Meriva, a patented Phytosome delivery form of curcumin, binds turmeric’s curcuminoids to phosphatidylcholine to enhance oral absorption and bioavailability by up to 29X. The improved oral bioavailability of curcumin as Meriva® has been translated into clinical efficacy for addressing the natural inflammatory response function at dosages significantly lower than those associated to uncomplexed curcumin.
A vital building block of joints, cartilage, skin, hair and nails, MSM is a sulfur-containing molecule that is found in various plants and in some body tissues. The major metabolite of DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide), MSM is 34% elemental sulfur, a compound which is crucial in maintaining healthy tissues. While most known for its ability to support collagen production, the primary constituent of cartilage, skin and connective tissue, research indicates that MSM also modulates histamine release and inflammation. Numerous human and animal studies have demonstrated that MSM supplementation reduced pain and joint stiffness and improved physical function. Our formula supplies OptiMSM®, the result of a proprietary distillation process that guarantees an ultra-pure product.
- The efficacy of UC-II in supporting joint function in healthy subjects was studied in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 55 people. Subjects took 40 mg of UC-II or placebo for 120 days. The physical stressor was induced by placing subjects on a standardized stepmill procedure until they complained of knee discomfort of at least 5 on a 0-10 point Likert scale. While on the stepmill, the “time to onset of discomfort” was measured. When subjects got off the stepmill the “time to offset of discomfort” was measured. Goniometry was used to assess the knee range of motion.
- The average knee extension at day 120 was significantly greater for people taking UC-II compared to placebo. Furthermore, the UC-II group demonstrated a statistically significant increase in average knee extension at day 90 and day 120 compared to baseline.
- The minimum time to onset of joint discomfort compared to baseline was significantly greater in the UC-II group at day 90 and day 120 while no significant changes were observed in the placebo group. Comparison between groups did not reach statistical significance.
- The percent change in maximum time to offset of discomfort in the UC-II group showed greater statistically significant reductions compared to baseline of up to 31.9% at day 60; 51.1% at day 90; and 51.9% at day 120. Comparisons between groups did not reach statistical significance.
- In a randomized, double-blind, clinical study, 52 people with osteoarthritis of the knee took 40 mg of UC-II or 1, 500 mg of glucosamine + 1, 200 mg of chondroitin for 90 days. UC-II significantly decreased joint pain, discomfort and immobility compared to baseline using three different assessment tools: WOMAC, VAS and Lequesne functional index.UC-II reduced WOMAC score by 33%. Glucosamine + chondroitin reduced WOMAC score by 14%.UC-II reduced VAS score by 40%. Glucosamine + chondroitin reduced VAS score by 15%.UC-II reduced Lequesne score by 20%. Glucosamine + chondroitin reduced Lequesne score by 6%.
- In two identically, designed, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical studies, a total of 186 subjects with osteoarthritis of the knee took 40 mg of UC-II or 1, 500 mg of glucosamine + 1, 200 mg chondroitin or placebo for 180 days. UC-II significantly improved joint function, mobility and flexibility compared to placebo using three different assessment tools: WOMAC, VAS, and Lequesne functional index. UC-II significantly reduced overall WOMAC score at day 180 compared to placebo. UC-II significantly reduced total Lequesne and mean VAS scores day 180 compared to placebo. Glucosamine + Chondroitin did not achieve statistical significance in any of the clinical outcomes compared to placebo.
- In a human pilot study, five women with osteoarthritis took 40 mg of UC-II a day for 42 days. UC-II significantly reduced pain, morning stiffness and stiffness following periods of rest. Average reduction of pain was 26%.
- Several in-vivo studies have demonstrated that MSM possesses selective anti-inflammatory activity. In a study examining the effect of MSM on murine macrophages, MSM demonstrated the ability to inhibit the expression of inflammatory markers through the suppression of iNOS and Cox-2 genes. MSM was also shown to strongly inhibit the inflammatory cytokines IL-6 and TNF, both key in producing an inflammatory response to acute injury.
- In a randomized, double-blind, parallel, placebo-controlled study of oral glucosamine, Methylsulfonylmethane and their combination in osteoarthritis, 118 patients were randomized to receive placebo, 500mg Glu+ 500mg of MSM or combo of 500 mg Glu+500mg MSM for 12 wks. Glu, MSM and their combination produced analgesic and anti-in ammatory effect. VAS, Lesquene index and consumption of rescue meds measured.
- Lugo JP, Saiyed ZM, Lau FC, et al. Undenatured type II collagen (UC-II®) for joint support: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study in healthy volunteers. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013;10:48.
- Crowley DC, Lau FC, Sharma P, et al. Safety and efficacy of undenatured type II collagen in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a clinical trial. Int J Med Sci. 2009;6:312-321.
- Saiyed ZM, Hull JF, Lugo JP. Efficacy and tolerability of undenatured type II collagen supplement in modulating knee joint function. Presented at Scripps 12th Annual Natural Supplements Meeting, Jan 16-18, 2015, San Diego. CA.
- Bagchi D, Misner B, Bagchi M, et al. Effects of orally administered undenatured type II collagen against arthritic inflammatory diseases: a mechanistic exploration. Int J Clin Pharm Res. 2002;22:101-110.
- Belcaro G., Cesarone M. R., Dugall M. et al., Product-evaluation registry of Meriva®, a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, for the complementary management of osteoarthritis, Panminerva Medica 2010 Giugno;52(2 Suppl 1).55-62.
- Ammon, H. P., Safayhi, H., Mack, T., and Sabieraj, J. Mechanism of anti-inflammatory actions of curcumine and boswellic acids. J Ethnopharmacol. 1993;38(2-3):113-119
- Jurenka J.S., Anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, a major constituent of Curcuma longa:
- a review of preclinical and clinical research. Altern. Med. Rev, 2009, 14: p. 141-153.
- Kidd P.M., Bioavailability and activity of phytosome complexes from botanical polyphenols: the silymarin, curcumin, green tea, and grape seed extracts. Alt. Med. Rev, 2009, 14: p. 226-246.
- Semalty A., Semalty M., Rawat M.S.M., Franceschi F., Supramolecularphospholipidspolyphenolics
- interactions: the PHYTOSOME strategy to improve the bioavailability of phytochemical. Fitoterapia, 2010. 81: p. 306-314.
- Belcaro G., Cesarone M.R., Dugall M., Pellegrini L., Ledda A., Grossi M.G., Togni S., Appending G., Product evaluation registry of Meriva®, a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, for the complementary management of osteoarthritis. Panminerva Medica, 2010, 52(2 Suppl 1): p. 55-62.
- Belcaro G., Cesarone M.R., Dugall M. et al., Efficacy and Safety of Meriva®, al., Curcuminphosphatidylcholine Complex, during Extended Administration in Osteoarthritis Patients. Alter Med Rev, 2010, 15(4): p. 337-44.
- Usda and Naidu. Clin Drug Invest 2004, 24:6 353-363
Take 1 capsule daily, with a meal, or as directed by a qualified health care professional.
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving
UC-II® Standardized Cartilage ... 40mg
Providing 10mg Total Collagen
Meriva® Turmeric Phytosome™ ... 100mg
(Curcuma longa rhizome/Glycine max soybeans) [Standardized to contain 18-22% curcuminoids (18mg - 22mg)]
OptiMSM™ ... 500mg
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), l-leucine, rice flour
UC-II® is a trademark of InterHealth N.I. UC-II® brand of undenatured type II collagen (U. S. Patents 5, 645, 851, 5, 637, 321, 5, 529, 786, 5, 750, 144, 7, 083, 820, EPO Patent EP1435906B1, Canadian Patent CA2459981L, Japanese Patent JP 4, 800, 574B2 and world-wide patents pending).
Meriva® and Phytosome™ are registered trademarks of Indena S.p.A.
OptiMSM® is a registered trademark of Bergstrom