A major cause of aging is a reduction in the energy-producing components of the cell, resulting in reduced cellular metabolic activity, and the accumulation of cellular debris.1-7 L-carnitine helps maintain cellular energy metabolism by assisting in the transport of fatty acids from the cytosol into the mitochondria within the cell, where fats are oxidized to produce the cellular energy (adenosine triphosphate or ATP).8-13
Acetyl-L-carnitine is the acetylated ester of the amino acid L-carnitine. Acetyl-L-carnitine is an endogenous mitochondrial membrane compound that helps maintain mitochondrial bioenergetics and lowers the increased oxidative stress associated with aging.14 Acetyl-L-carnitine and L-carnitine are absorbed into the bloodstream efficiently. Both are effective at carrying long-chain fatty acids across the membrane into the mitochondria where they are burned for energy production and utilized efficiently by the cells.15-18 Acetyl-L-carnitine also crosses the blood-brain barrier and guards against oxidative damage.5, 14, 19-21 Amyloid-beta peptide is a principal component of plaques and is thought to be a contributor to the aging process. Acetyl-L-carnitine exerts protective effects against such neurotoxicity and oxidative stress.14
Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC) easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and may have potential in exerting unique neuroprotective, neuromodulatory and neurotrophic properties. ALC may support youthful memory function, improve mitochondrial structure and function, inhibit age-related oxidative damage, and restore the activity of key enzymes.22-28
1. Physiol Rev.1998 Apr;78(2):547-81.
2. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Jun;1019:406-11.
3. Trends Cell Biol. 2011 Oct;21(10):569-76.
4. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei). 2001 May;64(5):259-70.
5. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007 Feb;292(2):C670-86.
6. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Apr 1;94(7):3064-9.
7. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1998 Nov 20;854:118-27.
8. J Lipid Res. 2004 Apr;45(4):729-35.
9. Metabolism. 1997 Dec;46(12):1454-7.
10 Mech Ageing Dev. 1995 Oct 13;84(2):103-12.
11. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Apr;959:491-507.
12. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000 Jun 26;1486(1):1-17.
13. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Dec;86(6):1738-44.
14. J Neurosci Res. 2006 Aug 1;84(2):398-408.
15. Acta Diabetol. 2003 Oct;40 Suppl 1:S106-13.
16. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000 Jun 26;1486(1):1-17.
17. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2012 Sep 1;51(9):553-72.
18. Exp Physiol. 2008 Oct;93(10):1139-46.
19. Neurochem Res. 2009 Apr;34(4):755-63.
20. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Nov;1033:117-31.
21. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002 Feb 19;99(4):1876-81. Erratum in: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002 May 14;99(10):7184.
22. Neurochem Res. 2003 Sep;28(9):1321-8.
23. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Nov;1033:108-16..
24. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2010 Jul;10 Suppl 1:S99-106
25. Neuropharmacology. 2008 Aug;55(2):223-9.
26. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2008 Mar-Apr;46(2):181-90
27. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Sep 10;570(1-3):97-107.
28. Brain Res. 2005 Nov 9;1061(2):114-7.
- Take one (1) capsule two to four times daily, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- This product is best utilized when taken on an empty stomach with water or juice in divided doses 45 minutes before breakfast and lunch.
Serving Size: 1 Vegetarian Capsule
Amount Per Serving:
Vitamin C ... 4mg
(as ascorbyl palmitate)
Acetyl-L-Carnitine ... 500mg
(from acetyl-L-carnitine hydrochloride)
Other ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, silica.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.